How To Clean Plastic Drain Pipes In Cumbria
Welcome to Drainage Cumbria, your go-to drain cleaning company in Cumbria. We understand the frustration of dealing with clogged drains, and that's why we're here to help. In this article, we'll walk you through the process of cleaning plastic drain pipes in Cumbria, and provide you with tips and tools to make sure your pipes are clean and functioning properly.
Why you need to clean your plastic drain pipes
Plastic drain pipes are commonly used in modern plumbing systems because of their durability and versatility. However, just like any other type of pipe, plastic pipes can become clogged and dirty. When this happens, it can lead to a variety of issues such as slow drainage, foul odours, and even sewage backups.
Cleaning your plastic drain pipes is essential to ensure that your plumbing system is working efficiently and to prevent any potential hazards. It's important to note that regular cleaning is more effective than waiting until there's a problem because sometimes dirt and debris accumulate over time, leading to major blockages that require expensive repairs.
Signs you need to clean your plastic drains
If you notice any of the following signs, it's time to clean your plastic drain pipes:
- Slow drainage: If water doesn't drain as quickly as it should, this is a clear indication that your pipes need cleaning.
- Foul odours: A smelly sink is a sure sign that there's a blockage in your drain pipes.
- Gurgling sounds: If you hear strange noises coming from your drain, it means there's air trapped in the pipes, which can be caused by a clog.
- Clogs: When you can't unclog your drain using drain cleaning solutions or simple DIY methods, then it's time for a thorough cleaning.
Tools you need for cleaning your plastic drain pipes
At Drainage Cumbria, we use specific tools to clean plastic drain pipes effectively. Some of the equipment you need include:
- Pipe tools: These tools include pipe snakes that help clear away debris stuck in your pipes. You can purchase pipe tools at your local hardware store or online.
- PVC pipe cutters: These tools are handy when you need to cut your PVC pipe to reach the blockage in your pipes.
- Pipe change: Sometimes, you may need to replace a part of your plastic pipe because it's damaged or beyond repair. In such cases, having replacement pipes will make the process much easier and faster.
Ways to clean plastic drain pipes
The easiest ways to clean plastic drain pipes
The easiest way to clean plastic drain pipes is by using hot water. Boil a pot of hot water and pour it down your sink to flush away any debris that may have accumulated in your pipes. This method is simple and can be done regularly to keep your pipes clean.
Another easy method is by using a plunger. To do this, cover the drain hole with a plunger and apply pressure to create suction. This should help dislodge any blockages stuck in the pipes.
The most effective ways to clean plastic drain pipes
For serious clogs, hot water and a plunger may not be enough to get the job done. In such cases, you'll need to use more advanced cleaning methods such as the following:
- PVC cleaner: A quality PVC cleaner can break down clogs in your pipes and get rid of any foul odours. When using a PVC cleaner, be sure to follow the instructions carefully to avoid any damage to your plumbing system.
- Drain snake: A drain snake is a long, flexible metal wire that can reach deep into your pipes to clear away any stubborn blockages. You can purchase a drain snake at your local hardware store or rent one if you prefer.
- Hydro jetting: Hydro jetting is a method of cleaning that involves using high-pressure water to clear away any debris, dirt, or clogs in your pipes. This method is ideal for serious blockages that can't be cleared using conventional methods.
The process of cleaning plastic drain pipes
Before starting the cleaning process, it's essential to turn off the water supply to the affected area. This will prevent any water damage in case of a leak or spill. Once that's done, follow these steps:
- Use a pipe snake or drain snake to clear away any blockages in your pipes.
- If there's a severe blockage, try using hydro-jetting or PVC cleaner to dislodge any clogs in your pipes.
- Use a PVC pipe cutter to cut away any damaged pipe sections and replace them with new ones.
- Finish up by running hot water down your sink to get rid of any remaining debris.
Tips for cleaning plastic drain pipes
- Use a cloth specific for cleaning your sink instead of regular dishcloths to prevent bacteria build-up.
- Be careful when working with PVC pipes since they can easily crack or break when using the wrong tools.
- When replacing any parts of your plumbing system, make sure that everything is secure and free from leaks.
- If in doubt, call a professional plumber to help you with the cleaning process.
Cleaning plastic drain pipes is an essential part of maintaining your plumbing system in Cumbria. At Drainage Cumbria, we're dedicated to providing you with the best drain cleaning services throughout the North West of England. By following these tips and using the right tools, you can keep your pipes clean and functioning efficiently. If you need any particular help, don't hesitate to contact us at 01228 734162 or visit our website at drainagecumbria.uk.